What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
There are certain items that are not allowed in a rehab facility and so when checking in, you need to be sure which ones are allowed.
Some items are prohibited in the rehab centres. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. All the items that are not allowed will be eliminated at this step. Many inpatient facilities record the stuff you bring in their database in order to ensure none of your stuff is left behind when you check out.
Some are only allowing bare necessities into the facility. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Find Information About What To Bring
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. Alternatively, you can also look for the frequently asked questions [FAQs] section if the page mentioned above does not exist. Many centres give their future patients a packing checklist which you can refer to. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with the rehab administrators. They should be able to help you with that concern. If you have any doubts you will find all the answers and explanations before your admission.
Items That Most Clinics Endorse
The list varies from centre to centre.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- Person ornaments that are used by the person.
- Other items can just be left at home.
- Alarm clock with no other features like radio or what not.
- You may even get some of the items already in the rehab and so you may not require to come with yours.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- Any medicine in liquid form must be new and sealed.
- It is recommended to carry the names of every medication you are taking and its dose with you.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your check book, credit or debit card for therapy medication expenses.
- Identification information.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Stamps and envelopes for mailing letters if you wish to.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- You will be provided with reading materials by the rehab centres chosen by you.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Small notebook are the best since they are not heavy.
The Attire You Should Have With You
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. You can prepare yourself by carrying a cloth that can be comfortable in all types of weather.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
You should carry enough clothing for a week because you will have access to a laundry machine within the centres. Clothes that are easily cleaned are the best to carry.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday activities, sports and flip flops for the shower.
- Shirts For slightly revealing articles, you may bring cardigans or pullovers to cover it to avoid dress code policy issues.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- A couple of special dresses.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat some centres do not permit hats indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
The beauty products you carry should be enough and they are
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Hair brush
- Feminine hygiene products
- Shaving cream
- Sun cream
Items Prohibited In Rehabilitation
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Opiates and other medicines
- Arms (pistols, blades, scissors, piercing objects, etc.)
- Food and drinks
- Everyday stuff containing alcohol
- Electronic cigarettes
- Unapproved or previously opened OTC medications.
- Volatile substances like nail polish or polish remover and the likes
- Video games and DVDs
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing clothing [tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff baring tops, etc.]
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Clothing with vulgarity or reference to drugs, booze or violence
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. The centres do not distractions of any form that would make you lose your focus on your road to recovery. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
Most clinics will prohibit food and drinks coming from outside as they don't respect proper sugar and caffeine quantities. Three healthy meals, beverages, and snacks are provided by the centre. Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
Each has their own rules and policies so do not expect that it is standard to all. These are some of the items that may be allowed or not allowed in the facilities
- Cell Phone and Laptop
- Access to these items will be restricted even if the rehab chosen by you allows these items.
- The charges should be available in case you are allowed to have one.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- A limit to cartons available at these centres is usually established.
- Vitamins and Legal Medicines
- These products must be new and unopened.
- Chewing gum
- They shouldn't have been opened before.
- MP3 and CD Players
- Any electronic devices with no internet connectivity features are also allowed.
- Shutterbugs can rest assured that some centres will allow cameras that are not Internet capable.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- You can bring disposable razors with you.
- Nail Clippers
- Some allow nail clippers, some don't.
- Things That Remind You Of Home
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
Your property will always be safe. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. Your objects can be kept at the centre until you finish your therapy.
In case you live alone and are planning to check in by yourself. You should check with the centre what items are allowed and what are not before packing. Any prohibited items that they have confiscated are expected to be returned. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Packing For Rehab If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. Look for a packing checklist on the website of the rehab will make the process of packing even easier. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Find Support Now
Every reputable centre gives permission to its patients to bring with them things which will help them to stay comfortably inside the facility. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
We can connect you with one if you get in touch with us on 0800 772 3971 .