The Misuse Of Drugs In Higher Institutions
College life to some is often associated with parties where binge drinking and abuse of recreational and prescription drugs are common.
Many people that abuse drugs are young people that are still in school especially in the higher institutions.
The probability of drug dependency is very high in teenage years.
Many students experience social anxiety when they enter college. Socializing is eased with the consumption of booze therefore making alcohol an attractive invitation. They don't immediately graduate to drug use or binge drinking but their new found habits predispose them to a greater risk of substance abuse.
There is also a very small chance for the people that are not in these institutions to use drugs as compared to those studying there.
Why College Students Turn To Drug Use
The alarming rate of drug use in college may be attributed to
- Many students are unable to manage various demands, like studying, working part-time, completing their internship program, and socializing, and start using drugs to escape stress.
- Academic Demands
- Adderall is one of many stimulants that pupils take in order to stay awake and turn in their homework on time.
- These prescription medications are usually obtained without a legitimate prescription in most cases.
- Being Interested In Something New
- College students, because of their young age and fewer responsibilities want to try out new things.
- The self-exploration can lead into drug experimentation, and this is a matter which is well-documented.
- Peer Pressure
- Your environment and the kind of people who surround you are more likely to influence your person and your decision making.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Diet Pills And Eating Disorders At College
Eating disorders are highly common among college students who are considered to be at an elevated risk in the development of such problems.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. A report revealed that the number of both males and females having unhealthy eating behaviours has increased by far in the past twenty years. In an effort to loose some pounds, they resort to the use of weight loss pills. This diet pill use is linked to common health issues and even cause death. Learn about diet pill abuse and eating disorders among college students.
Selected Drugs On College Campuses
There is no drug available with the immunity for college experimentation, and this is simply because trends have been changing constantly over a period of time.
A few substances, however, have been abused constantly by college students. Below are few of them on college campuses
- Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance in college campuses.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Many students, especially those who are stressed out about finishing study assignments on time, reach out for stimulants such as Adderall, which are also known as "study drugs".
- Legislation is presently in favour of Marijuana legalisation and many college students have begun focusing on pot as their favoured choice of drug.
- There are campuses in which the number one abused substance among students is Marijuana, not alcohol.
- Ecstasy, which was very popular in the 90s, has started becoming popular in college campuses again in a more concentrated form, called molly or MDMA.
- The "party drug" is also used by the youths all over campuses, as they fall under the target age range for this drug.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
College Students And The Effects Of Alcohol
The most hazardous drug found in college campuses is booze. More and more students find it cool and associate drinking and intoxication to fun college life, earning its ubiquitous attendance in almost all college parties and sports celebrations.
The use of alcohol is widespread during college and is often condoned, and this has caused many college students to begin consuming more alcohol at a frequency that is higher than their peers who are no longer present at the college.
Alcohol is used by majority of the population in the campuses.
The Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism have reported that nearly half of the population in colleges indulge in excessive drinking. Binge drinking causes severe health damage over a period of time, but it also contributes to immediate mishaps like accidents and violent fights. Know about alcohol abuse among college students and the dangerous effects of alcohol on the health.
Greek Life And Misuse
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Adderall is one of the most overused prescription substances within fraternities and sororities, way more than students outside the Greek system.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. Our addiction specialists can get you in touch with caring and experienced counsellors to help you overcome this problem. Regain control of your life by contacting us on 0800 772 3971 about your substance abuse.